Tuesday Attitude: Heroic Effort
“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.” JFK
“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” J. Campbell
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” A. Ashe
The Hero Week Summer 2011 Schedule is up. See it here.
When I first conceptualized and implemented Hero Week a few years ago, there were a few reasons:
1) To show support for the troops and honor the ultimate sacrifice.
2) To put our CF conditioning to the test by doing 7 wild workouts in a week (8 if it’s a leap year week!)
3) To further establish the CF family bonds by bringing us together across days/times to share in more challenge and suffering.
Over the years, it has become quite the event at CF! However, none of us could have believed it would hit as close to home as it did on June 29. Even before that tragic day, I wanted our theme to be “Local Support” and so I contacted the Keystone Wounded Warriors, who are currently assisting about 10 WWs in the southeast PA region. They are excited to be involved in the workouts and grateful for our support.
***If you don’t know, each Hero Week we do a “donation” project (whether money, care packages, etc). This HW we will do a “Donation WOD” on Saturday August 20 for the KWW (put it on your calendar).***
(As usual)…You will be beyond tired; you will be sore, achy, and stiff. Your hands will get ripped up. Your arms feel like they can’t push or pull another ounce. Your legs like sandbags. Your mind tied in knots, agitated, fatigued, edgy. That’s what we’re in for…and that’s exactly why we do it. It’s HERO WEEK. Go get some!
Hero Week Basics (look for more blog updates and signs at the gym):
1) $55 Hero Week Package Deal: 7 classes, T-shirt (choose from 2 styles), and last day social.
2) Can I buy they Package Deal even if I can’t do all 7 workouts? YES
3) I can only attend 2 workouts so I won’t buy the Package Deal but I want a T-shirt, can I buy shirts separately? YES, you can order as many shirts as you like.
4) If I don’t buy the Package Deal, how do I pay for the workout? Regular process, swipe your card or pay cash for the day-rate.