Hero Week Prep 2016
Hero Week *Winter 2016* is coming!
When: Dec 26, 2016 – Jan 1, 2017
Where: Corps Fitness
Why: To honor heroes of September 11th, 2001
This post provides a few pointers for Hero Week, to protect the integrity of the week and protect you and those around you from injury. These pointers aren’t intended to scare anyone away from doing HW, just items that we all should be aware of. The pace is fast and the WODs are tough:
- First and foremost, DON’T GET RHABDO. Stay hydrated, scale accordingly, recover as needed. Yes, for many the goal is to do every day, but if your body is telling you differently it’s best to listen.
- HW is not the best time to start CF or to come in after a long absence – for the same reasons as above. Scale and take time off as needed. Don’t feel pressured to do every WOD because Susie is doing them all… maybe she’s been in more regularly and conditioned her body for the rigors of this week. If your body says No, listen! It’s also not a great week to try ‘active recovery’ at CF (not that that’s ever an option). If you need some less-intense movement to work some soreness out, take a walk, go for a swim, take a day off from CF.
- Before each WOD, the bio of the honoree will be read aloud. That’s the most important 5 minutes of each class. You can also visit the blog each morning to read about the Hero. The workout is for him / her. Please respect that.
- In large classes, you will share equipment or make modifications. You might take turns, start at different times, or use DBs instead of a bar for push press for example, improvise – adapt – overcome.
- Respect the fact that you are part of something bigger than yourself. Be part of the group energy.
- HW means something different to everyone. Whether this is your first HW or you’re one of the CFers who have participated in every HW past, please recognize and honor the Integrity and Intensity this week deserves. Follow the example of those who have come before you, and thank them for making HW what it is. Then, make your own meaning and carry on the tradition!
- If you are attending only 1 or 2 just to “get your workout” please be considerate and mindful of the dedicated folks who are suffering through all 7 workouts for the Heroes. It’s not a competition, it’s about working together to honor the heroes. Respect that.
- Get motivated! Bring the intensity to every workout!
Do something special. Because you’re here. These heroes sacrificed committing to something bigger. We honor them by doing the same.
“Check your ego at the door, drink water, rest, SCALE to your own ability.