Keystone Wounded Warrior 5k, Sunday May 1, 2011 (Keystone Wounded Warriors and Alvernia Track, 2nd Annual). Register at the Active site.
(Run on your own, or run with a big CF group…either way support the Wounded Warriors Project…more info later)
Benchmark post-tests begin March 6! Up first, test improvement in your lung/leg burn and form……..Swing, Box Jump, Goblet Squat.
Practice all your benchmark exercises to perfection. It will be efficiency of movements (perfected form) that will mostly contribute to better times on the post-tests. Benchmark post-tests will commence in a few weeks (mid-late March). Benchmark exercises so far: Pull Up, Push Up, Goblet Squat, Swing, Box Jump, DL, Burpee
1) Sunday Feb 6: 2pm Optimaxx Lecture; 3pm Super Bowl WOD
2) NEW SUNDAY SPECIAL ADDED (see Sunday Special page): Cupid is so sneaky. We almost missed the traditional My Bloody Kettlebell Workout. No way. Sunday February 13th, 3pm! An adorable mix of KB and Bodyweight exercises to satisfy your sweet tooth! Also, anyone interested in the Slow Carb/4hr body recomposition diet should show up at 4PM (we can talk about implementing it…4-week trial challenge…)
3) Head to the POLLS! In the coming days, you’ll see various polls here. As you know, a new CF venue is coming…so give your feedback. The new facility will have lockers/showers. Select from 1 up to 3 times of the day that you would attend a CF Class regularly. Sure our schedules make us jump around from class to class sometimes, but what is your ideal regular time? Vote quickly, the topic will change every day or so! Disclaimer: Only those who read the blog are allowed to vote.
1) Sunday Special addition:
Feb 6, 2pm
Healthy Living Lecture, OptiHealth.
“Achieving Optimal Performance”: Dr. Leader spent 8 years as a field medic, cardiovascular technician and respiratory therapist in both the US Air Force and in local hospitals. He has spent the last 15 years as a Chiropractor and Clinical Nutritionist. Free samples of our All-Natural Endurance Formula before your workout and our Muscle Recovery Formula afterwards.
2) Super Bowl Sunday Special, Feb 6, 3PM: Will include Benchmarch WOD #2. Everyone welcome!
1) Soft-style KB swing, that is. Here’s a very good description at Art of Strength. Notice the description…efficiency, less tension! (all the KB vids at Minute of Strength are excellent)
Then some CFers with efforts after the softer-style. Soft swing
It forces excellent foot/ground contact for initiating power. Reduced leg flexion (not a deep knee) and big hip flexion (the hips recede to absorb the bell which creates the power). Bringing power from the backside, not a squat and raise. That in CrossFit lingo would be “muted hips” where the hips lag behind the leg causing the hips and bell to work against each other (ie, not swinging). This can be applied to regular Russian, H2H, or OH swings…and technically, the soft biomechanics can be applied to any number of exercises! It takes practice, messing around with different positions to see what works or not, and a commitment to generating as much power as possible. Think of swinging less as an exercise to get a certain number of reps and more as the quest for the perfect rep…
2) Sunday Special, Jan 30, 9am: KB form & Regular CF workout
3) Sunday Special addition: Feb 6, 2pm Healthy Living Lecture by Dr. David Leader, OptiHealth. “Achieving Optimal Performance”: Dr. Leader spent 8 years as a field medic, cardiovascular technician and respiratory therapist in both the US Air Force and in local hospitals. He has spent the last 15 years as a Chiropractor and Clinical Nutritionist treating and educating patients on natural health restoration and maintenance. We will be giving out free samples of our All-Natural Endurance Formula before your workout and our Muscle Recovery Formula afterwards (see pdf link above).
2) Great: The “Sunday Special” workouts are going to become more formalized. In an effort to promote the “Achievement” theme in 2011, form sessions and WODs executing those skills will be offered. These are going to be great opportunities for Beginners and Advanced CFers! Look for the link under Events. Always check the blog for updates.
3) Weight: Did you put on a few pounds the last month? Now that the pastries, pies, cakes, treats, cookies and general over-eating are gone, time to get back to your cruising weight?
Take these steps:
- Commit to calorie restriction. Limiting caloric intake is the only way to lose weight. Structure your day appropriately (when will I eat, when definitely will I not eat, etc).
- Clean house. Get rid of the crap that may have made it in over the holidays. No useless, empty wasted calories enter (house or mouth).
- Shop like a Cave Person. Follow the CrossFit Paleo recommendation (clean lean meats, veggie, nuts/berries, fruit). Livestrong Paleo Shopping List, PaleoDiet Lifestyle Food List, and absolutely read this .doc by Robb Wolf at Crossfit NorCal and then see this Shopping List.
- Attend CF to enhance the process (big burns, build muscle).
- Use online resources like Livestrong Daily Plate to hold you accountable. (Anyone who wants to play, go over to the CF Weightloss Group, post your weight…and let’s have a go at it!)
- Why? Think of all the health benefits associated with being lean. Think of being a role model. Think of achieving a personal goal. Think of performing better at CF. Think of looking smokin’ in all that new CF gear.
- It’s January 6…see you February 6. 1 month…lose what you can!