It’s always nice to know we can rely on Mark’s Daily Apple to be a voice of reason amidst the media frenzy:
“…I would hang my hat on the following suggestions, however.
- Don’t live off bacon, hot dogs, and salami.
- The more red meat you eat, the more vegetation you should be eating. Make sure some of that vegetation contains prebiotic fiber, especially resistant starch. Maybe all that plant matter is unnecessary if you maintain a perfect carnivorous diet, but why risk it? Besides, plants are delicious.
- Learn to love rare steak. It’s way better, guys.
- Rely mostly on gentler cooking methods: steaming, simmering, braising, pressure-cooking.
- If you’re gonna sear or grill something over high heat, which is completely and utterly delicious and thus necessary from time to time, consider using a marinade—especially if you cook this way frequently.
- Have a healthy gut. Beneficial human gut bacteria can convert linoleic acid and fiber into the anti-colon cancer metabolites CLA and butyrate.
- Stick to healthier sources of red and processed meat—pastured/grass-fed red meat, bacon, sausage. The local farmer over Oscar Mayer.”
– Mark’s Daily Apple
**UPDATE: Madeline is not feeling well and spin is cancelled this evening. Apologies for the short notice. Feel better, Madeline!!**
A little early update to give everyone time to prepare for this weekend!
*Where did the month of October go? Our Carry The Load Month is coming to end. Many of you did the Obstacle Course for time that was the Test In for this month. If you would like to do the Test Out to see if you can improve your time, the Obstacle Course will be a part of all of our Friday 10/30 classes. All Test In times are posted on the large white board in the gym so you can see what time you need to improve. Thanks to all who have posted names and pictures of those we Carried all month long!
*We have 18 participants so far signed up for November’s Weight Loss Challenge (loads of ladies in the game to make it a fun one…..guys, where you at?). Last call for sign up will be 10/30. As a means of support, sharing ideas and recipes, and tips, we will be setting up a Private Facebook group for all those who are participating (and on FB). Be on the look out for that. Because of this private group, we will NOT be having the informal meeting as previously mentioned on Sunday November 1st. Instead, look for ideas, tips, and links to helpful websites within this private Facebook group.
*It’s ON. What’s on, you ask?! A Rockin’ 80’s Themed workout! Our Saturday AM classes will have a Halloween flair. Dress up in your best 80’s themed workout clothes, and get ready to Jazzercise! (Not really…..that’s totally a JOKE!). But wearing your leotards, leg warmers and mesh tank tops is no joke!
*Remember the Pull Up Challenge we did a while back? Well, November’s physical challenge is here with a twist! Pull Up Negatives and Pull Up Positives. Start on Nov. 1 with a 1 second negative, followed by a 1 second positive. Each day, add an additional second for your negative and your positive. End the month with a 30 second negative and a 30 second positive. Get the idea? You miss a day, you make up that day the next time you are in the gym. AND, if it is appropriate for you just to work on negatives alone and build up your slow descent on negatives only, by all means, hop in the challenge that way!
During an obstacle course race this weekend, I had the opportunity to pass by several other teams participating and see how they interacted during a challenging / combined suffering situation. I overheard a lot of “come on, we’re waiting for you” and “we’re all over here, come on” and couldn’t help but think to myself that Corps Fitness is so much different!! I don’t remember a time when I’ve ever heard someone say “we’re waiting for you” (i.e. “it’s about me, you’re on your own…”), but can remember countless times every day when other CFers run to the person struggling and motivate them to get it done with “come on, let’s do this” or “come on, you’ve got this” or “just a little further, dig it out...” (i.e. “we’re in this together, let’s get it done!”). So thank you, Corps Fitness, for providing us with a different mentality, and for setting us apart from the crowds!
FREE Intro to Corps Fitness Saturday 10/24 at 9:45 AM
Saturday Spin class will be held 10/24 with Jen Quick (9:30am)!
Friday 5:30 PM – Gretchen
Sunday 8:30 AM – Gretchen
That about sums up today’s Arrow workout!
Not a huge fan of the title of this article or the first 1/2, but there is some good stuff towards the end about why it’s important to include both strength (article refers to as body building / BB) and endurance (LE in article) work in your weekly fitness regimen. A somewhat long read but worth it at the end.
– Recovery is important, and is not the same as Rest.
– Sometimes your muscles need sugar, and that’s ok. You should give it to them.
– Your nervous system needs to adapt to the stresses you place on it as much as your muscles do.
– Work on your weaknesses to make your whole self stronger.
Like a healthy competition? Want to keep on track this holiday season? Looking to shed a few pounds to get in prime physical shape? Then this November’s weight loss challenge is for YOU!
Let’s cut the fat and get to the real skinny of this challenge/competition:
Sign Up at front desk and pay your $10 entry fee by Friday 10/30. This is a 5 week challenge (November 1 – December 5).
*Kick-off is Sunday, November 1st. After our 8:30AM class on Nov. 1st, there will be an informal discussion on different approaches to your weight loss challenge (i.e. Paleo, Calories In vs. Calories Out, Reduction of sugar intake, etc.). At this time, we will also have a Halloween Candy Dump….bring any unwanted candy in and get it out of the house (out of sight, out of mind!).
1. You must have a weigh in done and recorded by a trainer by (or on) the Nov. 1st start date. You also can elect to have your body fat % recorded, but this measurement will not be used in determining winners. (Weights will be kept in a folder only to be seen by trainers, however, your total percentage of weight loss may be shared at the conclusion of the challenge.)
2. Final weigh outs must be done by Sat. December 5th, which is the conclusion of the challenge.
1. At the conclusion of the challenge, we will award a Top Male Loser and a Top Female Loser (based on % of weight lost). These winners will receive a FREE One Month Unlimited Corps Fitness Membership!!
2. Additionally, we will award an Overall Top Team Loser (all % of weight lost for all team members combined), and they will receive a CASH prize to be split among team members. Teams will be randomly chosen (4 or 5 per team, depending on participation) and announced by the start of the challenge, so make sure to get your name on the sign up sheet by 10/30!
*The MORE THE MERRIER in this competition, and the MORE it ups the CASH potential to win as a team!
**While we know many of you are highly competitive, please choose safe methods of weight loss that will allow you to maintain your healthy self-image, choices and lifestyle. Remember, your decisions on how best to watch what you eat should be changes that you can maintain for a lifetime.
Friday 5:30 PM – John
Sunday 8:30 AM – John